Friday, April 29, 2011

A Tribute to my Body

Dear Body,
I know that I have been extremely criticizing of you the past few months.. ok, in reality, I'd been criticizing you your whole life. I was unhappy with the way you looked even at my fittest just a year ago. What I haven't come to realize and fully appreciate is the way your strong legs have carried me through numerous miles in training for marathons and even just walking around in daily life. I complained about the jiggling of your abs or the arms and lamented about neither being tight or toned enough. In reality, the abs as well as back make up a strong core and have allowed me to run quickly down hills. Your arms allow me to push through tough uphills. I've punished you by denying you proper nutrition, falsely thinking that I would see a smaller number on the scale (even though logically I knew that you can't run a finely tune machine without proper fuel). I've looked in the mirror and scolded you for one reason or another: not being smaller here, being too jiggly there, not being tighter here, here, and especially there!
So, Body, I hope that you will accept my sincerest and deepest apology for how unappreciative and how cruel I have been to you the past few years that we have been together. You have been there for me during ankle sprains, miles upon miles of running, a motorcycle accident, good times, and bad times. I am eternally grateful to you and all that you have and will provide to me for years to come.

Your biggest fan,
Lin

2 comments:

  1. Great post Lin! I've been mad at my body for not slimming down as fast as I want it too...but I guess I should remember that it did help me bring my three kids into this world. I'll try to be kinder to it :)

    and for the record...you and your body are hotties ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica - Yes, as women we need to be kinder and gentler to our bodies. It's pretty amazing that we have the ability to nourish and house a living human being...

    Women and men alike struggle with body image, some more severe than others. I'm learning to appreciate and accept my body where it's at, no matter at what weight. Thanks, Jessica, for the kind words. =)

    ReplyDelete