Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Trail Running.. another addiction?

A number of my running friends have been trying to convince me to run trails.  My main concern with the trails is my (then) weak ankles and how easily I roll them.  After almost 3 months of training in the NB Minimus shoes, though, I feel like my balance and ankle strength has improved.  I ran the PQ canyon last Saturday at glacial speeds and yesterday and today at a slightly (but not much) faster pace.  Trails definitely offer a different running experience, with the unevenness of the ground, the elevation changes, rodents.. makes it feel more like you're out in nature without cars zooming past or honking at you.  I enjoy feeling the rocks beneath my feet with the minimalist shoes.

I thought of ways to improve my trail running pace:
1. Keep running trails - probably the most obvious solution.  
2. More hill training - Normal hills kill me.  Add rocky/slippery terrain and I become overly cautious going up and more so going down.
3. Run with people - This has been my biggest issue with running.  I'm greedy, I like running alone.  I have successfully upped my pace with some dedication and my Garmin, but I think with the trails, I'll need someone to push me.  

Time to step outside of my comfort zone.

No comments:

Post a Comment