Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Trying to Get my Groove Back!

After the SD RnR, I was determined to give myself at least a week's rest from running.  I've been feeling absolutely drained / tired since probably the beginning of the year.  I've had blood tests done, catching up on sleep on weekends, made small tweaks to my diet... and it seems the only thing I have not tried was giving myself enough rest between marathons for recovery.  Granted, I did not give myself a full week (I waited 4 days before I was fiending for a run), but have not stuck to my SF marathon schedule to allow myself a little more time to recover.  The result?  Still tired and now, I feel like I'm losing my motivation to get out there and run.

Perhaps I set the bar a little bit too high aiming for 5 marathons in a year and the desire to want to finish all of them within a few minutes of my PR  I figured I liked running enough, that signing up for those marathons wouldn't be too big of a deal, since I would be consistently running/training than doing an event, then taking a month or so off before I'd start training again for the next one.

I'm attempting to switch back to early morning runs and hoping that will reignite my desire to run.  At the end of the day, I'm exhausted and probably hungry and cranky and the idea of running instead of laying on the couch and vegging is way more desirable.  Anyone have any suggestions?  Thoughts?  Comments?

2 comments:

  1. You made it MUCH farther than I did, but that is exactly how I felt during my training last year. Also being drained all the time started making me really sad, but resting made me feel guilty! :P

    That was when I took a bit of a break, and worked on not feeling guilty about it.I ran when I wanted to, but If I was tired I let it slide. I ended up loosely following the schedule, but dropped running days because I needed it. I think I averaged 3-4 days a week instead of the listed 5 (and then did other activities in between) Ultimately that was what I needed to do, it worked and I livened right back up.

    I hope you find what works for you! You're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, Erin. Thanks for your kind words. =)

    ReplyDelete